Ever been caught way behind schedule when the clock is way ahead of schedule? Of course! We’ve all been there. At these times, quick and easy recipes such as these taco cups definitely come in handy.
You can have these taco cups in the oven in 20 minutes or less! You could even make the meat mixture prior and store it in the fridge or freezer, making this a great freezer meal. I think that earns this recipe a spot on your list of quick and easy dinner ideas.
When I was creating this recipe, I discovered a few recipes similar to this that used wonton wrappers. But I didn’t keep wonton wrappers on hand!
Then I found a recipe that used tortilla circles that were cut out using a large cup. When I tried that, I encountered two problems.
First, a cup wasn’t sharp enough to cut the tortillas properly. And second, cutting rounds out of the tortilla left lots of scraps.
So… after a brainstorming session, I came up with the solution to cut the tortillas in quarters. They turned out even better than I hoped!
Making your own tortillas requires time and effort, but it’s always worth it! (I use this recipe for homemade tortillas.) Both bought and homemade tortillas work great for this recipe.
You can easily customize this recipe to suit your tastes. So go ahead and give this recipe a shot!
24 taco cups
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas ( homemade tortillas are great!)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet (1 tablespoon) taco seasoning
- 1 10-oz. can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked
- 8 oz. shredded mexican cheese blend, divided
- Toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, avocadoes, sour cream)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef with taco seasoning in a pan. Add Rotel tomatoes, black beans, corn, and 2 oz. cheese.
- Cut flour tortillas into quarters. Use the tortilla quarters to line muffin tins (the corners will stick up out of the tin).
- Spoon about 1/4 cup meat mixture into each cup. Top with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until hot and slightly toasted.
- Serve with your choice of toppings, such as lettuce, tomatoes, avocadoes, and sour cream.
You totally can make the meat mixture ahead of time! Or double this recipe, and freeze half of it for later! Then you just need to thaw it before assembling these taco cups.